Dental Fillings in Aloha, Forest Grove, & Hillsboro, OR
At Smith Dental in Aloha, Forest Grove, and Hillsboro, OR, one of our primary goals is to help you prevent cavities. With consistent visits to one of our convenient locations for your preventive teeth cleanings and checkups every six months, you can easily keep your smile healthy.
Sometimes, though, even with consistent preventive care and an excellent home care routine, cavities can still develop despite our best efforts. A cavity is a hole in the structure of your tooth that forms because of erosion caused by the acids that the bacteria in your mouth release.
Left untreated, the cavity can grow and spread and develop into a serious problem like a tooth infection that requires more extensive treatment, including root canals, crowns, and even extraction in severe cases.
By visiting our office regularly for examinations, we can catch cavities early when they are small, easily treatable, and less expensive to fix.
Tooth-Colored Fillings to Restore Your Teeth and Complement Your Smile
If you find yourself in need of a filling to restore a cavity, our dentists primarily use tooth-colored composite resin because it offers several advantages for our patients, such as:
- Excellent durability. Composite resin bonds directly to your tooth, which makes it strong.
- Pleasing aesthetics. Our dentists can customize composite material, so it blends seamlessly with your tooth.
- Temperature resistant. Metal fillings react to the temperature changes in your mouth by expanding and contracting, which causes them to break down over time.
- Preserves natural tooth structure. Composite fillings don't require our dentists to remove as much tooth structure for placement as metal fillings do. Tooth-colored fillings preserve more of your natural tooth.
You can rest assured that if you need a filling, tooth-colored composite material will provide you with the durability you need and the aesthetics you want.
Enhance Your Smile With Dental Bonding
Our dentists can also use composite material for a procedure called dental bonding. Cosmetic bonding is typically very affordable and can fix many of the same problems that veneers do, such as:
- Tooth size discrepancies
- Oddly shaped teeth
- Spaces or gaps between teeth
- Covering stains or discoloration
- Repairing broken or chipped teeth
Dental bonding is also a relatively quick procedure as our dentists can usually finish your new smile in just one visit.
You Can Prevent Tooth Decay
You can significantly reduce your risk of developing cavities by practicing good hygiene habits. Drs. John and Ryan Smith, along with our excellent dental hygienists, will work with you to create a self-care routine that you will be able to commit to.
The bacteria that produce the acid that leads to cavities thrive in the plaque that accumulates on your teeth. Regularly removing this plaque will keep the bacteria off of the surface of your teeth. In addition, flossing removes the plaque from between your teeth and just beneath the gum line, preventing cavities as well as gum disease.
Even with great brushing habits, it is nearly impossible to remove every last bit of plaque from your teeth consistently (although it will still make a huge difference). This is because your teeth have countless nooks and crannies where plaque can hide, and in time, that plaque will harden into tartar, which you can't remove with a toothbrush and floss.
Visiting our office twice each year for professional cleanings with our hygienists will give you a fresh start each time and help prevent cavities.
Other ways that you can prevent cavities include:
- Eating calcium-rich foods that strengthen your bones (including your teeth)
- Avoid sugary foods and drinks, or brush about 30 minutes after eating them
- Using products that contain fluorides, such as toothpaste and mouthwash
If you are prone to cavities, we can also discuss preventive options like sealants to help protect your teeth.
Learn More About Dental Fillings in Hillsboro, Forest Grove, and Aloha, OR
Call one of our dental offices in Aloha, Forest Grove, or Hillsboro, OR today to schedule your next appointment and learn about the possibilities for your smile.