At Smith Dental, we know how important it is to replace missing teeth with restorations that look good and feel comfortable. We also know how important it is to have options!
One option for replacing missing teeth that has stood the test of time is the dental bridge.
If you are missing teeth and you are seeking a bridge dentist in Aloha, Hillsboro, or Forest Grove, please call Smith Dental today to schedule a consultation with father-and-son dentist team Drs. John and Ryan Smith.
How Do Bridges Work?
A dental bridge replaces your tooth with a specially made crown. This crown is then suspended in the space left by the missing tooth and held in place with additional crowns, which are fitted over the neighboring teeth.
The bridge is “fixed” into place so it doesn’t move or shift.
What Are the Advantages of a Bridge?
- Bridges don’t take a long time to place. The entire process can be completed in just a couple of weeks, and you can be fitted with a temporary bridge in the meantime.
- Bridges are relatively inexpensive, especially when compared to dental implants. Many dental insurance plans offer at least partial coverage of a dental bridge.
- Bridges won’t move or shift while you are eating or speaking.
- Your bridge will be custom made to blend in nicely with your existing dentistry.
- Bridges prevent other teeth from shifting toward the gap and help preserve the alignment of your bite.
- A bridge will allow you to chew foods with ease.
Does a Bridge Have Any Downsides?
- Bridges do need to be cleaned in a special way. It’s important to clean beneath the replacement tooth to avoid food debris and bacteria build-up, which can lead to gum disease or decay in neighboring teeth.
- Bridges require that we remove healthy tooth structure to place the crowns that hold the restoration in place.
- While bridges prevent your other teeth from drifting, they don’t help prevent bone loss in the way that dental implants do.
Is a Bridge Right for You?
The best way to find out which tooth replacement option will meet your needs is to call Smith Dental and request an appointment. We have three locations, so you can choose whichever location is closest – Hillsboro, Aloha, or Forest Grove.
Our doctors will carefully evaluate your dental health and listen carefully to your needs and goals so that we can provide you with the most appropriate recommendation. Give us a call today!